• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

overtraining from swimming + weight lifting

Status
Not open for further replies.

sony123

Bluelighter
i have been doing the rippetoe program three times a week, and i was wondering if swimming on the off days from weight training would cause overtraining?

thanks

My stopping point is joint/tendon pain. I NEVER work through joint/tendon pain. Listen to your body.

Make sure you're getting in your GOOD calories and pay attention to your body...Make sure to look out for any CNS depression or a change in your immunse system..2 things that indicate overtraining...

You'll be fine though....swimming, although very hard, is less strenous on the entire body.

The only way you can "overtrain" with an added cardio activity like swimming, I believe, is to not eat enough or sleep enough.

This is just a notion of mine but i'd say swimming will help loosen everything out. It'll be good for you if anything I'd say.

The only way you can "overtrain" with an added cardio activity like swimming, I believe, is to not eat enough or sleep enough.

I honestly wouldn't characterize swimming as pure cardio. One can definitely put on a lot of muscle mass with this activity.

Overtraining is a result of the damage you do to your body through exercise exceeding your ability to heal.

If you're doing Rip's program (I'm assuming Starting Strength) and you're new to lifting, you really aren't taxing your muscles that much. This is due to the fact that your neuromuscular connections just aren't efficient enough yet to work near your body's actual work capacity.

Swimming is a cardiovascular activity purely by the fact that you do it at a low enough intensity that you can sustain it for longer than the three minutes of the anaerobic metabolic cycle. You use more muscles than you do in other aerobic activities like running or biking, but it still doesn't tax your muscles that heavily.

Over training on cardio is very, very difficult to do. Over training is pretty prevalent in the Iron Man and marathon communities, but I have a feeling that your workload isn't nearly that high.

Eat and sleep well and you'll be just fine.

Swimming is a cardiovascular activity purely by the fact that you do it at a low enough intensity that you can sustain it for longer than the three minutes of the anaerobic metabolic cycle.

You can also do it at a high enough intensity (swimming sprints) that you can not sustain the activity for more than 3 minutes. Also, swimmers get ripped without lifting.

You can also do it at a high enough intensity (swimming sprints) that you can not sustain the activity for more than 3 minutes. Also, swimmers get ripped without lifting.

Being ripped is all about bf%. Losing bf is a cardio activity....

I would tend to believe that the OP is not doing swim sprints.

And as P-mo said, leanness is a product of low body fat, not muscle mass. Have you ever looked at a swimmer and thought, man, that guy is massive? Look at boxers, it's the same thing. Stamina and strength and the exercise required to achieve each are very different.

Look, I'm not putting down weight lifting. All I'm doing is pointing out that that swimmers get pretty buff (not massive, you are completely right). I've already gained 10 pounds in 2 months just from surfing and eating more. Maybe this was just from calories, but my arms and shoulders are much bigger than before.

I admit, on a few occasions, I've woken up the next morning sore after swimming.

Status
Not open for further replies.